Monday, November 11, 2013

'Silence' Worries Aid Workers in Wake of Typhoon Haiyan

TACLOBAN, Philippines - Aid workers and emergency officials warned that there had been no contact with many typhoon-hit parts of the Philippines more than three days after one of the most violent storms to ever make landfall slammed into the country.
Tacloban, a city of 200,000 people on the island of Leyte, lay in ruins with bodies littering the streets in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan. A civil defense official told NBC News on Monday that more than 56,000 homes had been destroyed on the island of Panay, with 83,000 others damaged.

Bullit Marquez / AP
One of the most powerful storms ever recorded killed at least 10,000 people in the central Philippines, with huge waves sweeping away entire coastal villages and devastating the region's main city.

But there was no word from many communities.
"What worries us is there are so many areas that we have no information from and when we have this silence this usually means that the damage is even worse," Joseph Curry, country representative for Catholic Relief Services, told TODAY.
video and read more
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/11/21399516-silence-worries-aid-workers-in-wake-of-typhoon-haiyan-56k-homes-wrecked-on-one-island?lite

No comments:

Post a Comment