Sunday, November 3, 2013

Scientists And Astronomers Are Perplexed By Comet ISON's Highly Unusual Performance

November 3, 2013
 
Highly regarded comet observer John Bortle is perplexed by the comet's recent appearance, commenting that the recent images along with his own visual impression, is "downright weird." He adds that, "There is a bright, miniature, long-tailed comet situated within a much larger, but very much fainter and diffuse halo of a coma."

"Those visual people using larger telescope also often remark about the odd way the comet looks, while those using relatively small scopes and big binoculars report seeing a larger, more-or-less faint but uniform cometary mass," he added. "This comet is currently at a distance from the sun where it should no longer exhibit such a dichotomy of appearance.”

Bortle has observed several hundred comets and yet, he writes, "At this stage of the game, with the comet about to cross the orbit of Earth, I cannot recall any previous comet in my 50-plus years of comet observing looking quite like this. So, what does ISON's current look foretell, or mean? I honestly don't know. All I can say is I don't like the odd look of it at this time."

2 comments:

  1. Hercobulus I think !!! Nice blog Slaade, congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'll keep it updated so come by again soon :)

    ReplyDelete